Leading up to the big day, there will be multiple events throughout the month to celebrate the Harvest Moon with music and entertainment. More information will be posted once we near the month of September, so be sure to check back!
Below, you will find out more about the schedule of the Moon Festival itself on September 30th, 2017.
- Time: 4:00-7:00pm
- Location: Slocan Park
- Features: This family-friendly event at Slocan park kicks off the Renfrew Ravine Moon Festival. Attendees will enjoy playing games, making crafts, enjoying talented local musicians, eating delicious food, engaging with local community booths, and more! Featured activities include the Harvest Fair competition, where community members enter the best from their summer gardens and the results are announced just before the parade leaves. Everyone can make last-minute lanterns or purchase pre-made lanterns by local artists.
Twilight Lantern Walk
- Time: Departs at 7:00pm
- Location: Beginning at Slocan Park
- Features: As the moon rises and the sun sets musicians and dancers prepare the way for the twilight lantern parade along our beloved ravine. The appearance of the giant moon lantern tells us it is time. Festival goers can light their own lanterns and walk the trails along the ravine, accompanied by live music as darkness falls. Passing by the river-stone labyrinth, the procession is invited to a walking meditation surrounded by music and light. The parade then passes by other lantern installations and surprise performances until it reaches Renfrew Park.
- Time: 7:30-8:30pm
- Location: Renfrew Ravine, beside Renfrew Park
- Features: The parade crosses the street, leaves the streetlights, and descends into a transformed world of the stream, Still Creek, lined with lights, floating lantern art, and ethereal music. Time slows down as community members pause to offer Prayers for the Water and absorb the beauty of candlelight, exquisite lanterns, music, and the gently shimmering stream. Just outside of the stream, you’ll find musicians playing at the main stage, a Tea Garden full of delicious treats for you to enjoy, and a Mobile-Friendly Lantern Walk for everyone to enjoy.
- Time: 8:00pm
- Location: Renfrew Park Field
- Features: The event finishes off on the field, where youth performers showcase their choreographed performance including dancing, stilting, and fire spinning. The spectacle is accompanied by live music playing swing and jazz music. Bring your dancing shoes and participate in the dance floor right in front of the stage! The spectacle ends with an explosion of fireworks as a back-drop to the youth performers.